The world of today is one of high pace, fierce competition, and cutting-edge technological know-how through all forms of digital media. Everybody may learn something new at any time and from anywhere, thanks to the crucial field of online learning, which has become a significant component of daily life. While the doors to learning and education were shut during the COVID-19 pandemic, internet learning proved to be a blessing. In fact, handling other tasks while studying has become an essential aspect of life for both professionals and students. Because of the substantial change in how we receive knowledge brought about by the digital revolution, it is now a prerequisite for every student. The main advantage of online education is that students can study wherever they are, at any time. It is a flexible mode of learning where you can schedule your work and learning according to your pace and comfort.
Online learning teaches students how to manage their precious time better since the student bears the responsibility of engaging with the course instead of simply showing up to class on a prefixed time and date. Online studies or learning helps students to create and communicate new ideas. It provides you with many new ideas to upgrade your skills and gain knowledge apart from the physical classroom and bookish knowledge. It stimulates students to learn a new way of reading from their teachers and takes a lot of interest in reading. So this article will focus on some of the important advantages and disadvantages of online learning.
Online learning is also known as an online study which refers to education that takes place over the internet. It is also called-e-learning, which is just one type of distance learning. Online learning is a modern way of learning where students can learn in a fully virtual environment and is most prevalent in higher education. It enables students to learn from different geographical areas to engage with an academic institution and other students online and learn flexibly, at their own pace, while working towards a degree or certificate.
Online learning requires laptops, computers, tablets, or smartphones, and, most essential, a high-speed internet connection to learn online without any interruption. This mode of learning is mostly used in schools and colleges.
Several universities and higher education systems are using a learning management system (LMS) to facilitate online learning that can take the form of asynchronous learning or synchronous learning.
One of the great advantages of online learning we had seen during the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown period. Online learning was the only medium that helped the entire world continue their studies/ learning when every door was closed for study. But there are many advantages we can pen down for this interesting topic.
- Online learning can reduce the financial cost of studies. It is far more affordable learning compared to physical learning as it can cut the cost of transportation, student meals, and, most important, real estate.
- It is an Efficient Way of learning that has a number of tools like videos, PDFs, podcasts, etc., that are used to deliver lessons to students. It helps teachers to become more efficient educators.
- It is one of the most accessible forms of learning that allows students to attend classes from any location of their choice. It also enables schools to reach out to a more extensive network of students beyond geographical boundaries.
- It allows students to learn and access the learning material at a time of their comfort.
- Students can also use recorded, archived, and shared lectures if they are unable to attend an online class.
- Online learning is helpful in improving student attendance, as classes can be taken from anywhere. So it can reduce the chances of missing out on studies.
- It provides a huge stuff to learn as the internet is the ocean of infinite information. Students can learn a lot with online learning apart from teachers’ lessons and bookish knowledge.
- Online learning is Versatile as it offers a variety of learning styles as every student has a different learning journey and a different learning style. So an online learning system comes with a wide range of options and resources and can be personalised in many ways.
And the list will go on and on with online learning advantages. Online studies are considered one of the best ways to create a perfect learning environment suited to the requirements of each student.
Despite many benefits and advantages of online learning, there are a few disadvantages of this field that represent the dark side of this mode of learning. The following are some negative features of online study.
- It is very challenging to focus on the screen as, for many students, it is one of the toughest tasks. It is a struggle to focus on the screen for a long period of time.
- Students can also very easily get distracted by social media or other platforms.
- Online learning is imperative for teachers also, as it is a challenging task to engage students and stay focused on the learning sessions.
- Network issues are also the problem creating issues as the internet connectivity is very poor in almost every place, especially in small cities and towns. So a consistent internet connection with optimum speed is a problem that takes work to be solved.
- Health issues are also caused if online classes are running for a long period of time. Students are facing headaches, eye problems, back and neck pain, lower back pain, disrupted circadian rhythm, etc., while attending online classes.
- Isolation is also one of the biggest problems faced by online learners, as there is no one around them while attending the class.
- Online learning can be an extravagant way of learning when there are multiple children in online classes, as each one requires their own devices to complete school work.
- Online classes also require teacher training so that they have a basic knowledge of using digital forms of learning. Sometimes teachers need the essential tools and resources to conduct online classes.
So there are major advantages and disadvantages of online learning. If someone wants to join online learning, then they are required to check c carefully all issues and benefits and choose the mode that is more beneficial for them.